"Once the centre of rural commerce in Queens County, Hunter River now serves as a major way-station between Charlottetown and Summerside. Bustling with
activity, Hunter River offers a number of quaint bed and breakfasts and cozy inns for travellers. As well, a variety of quiet cafes and restaurants are
found within the community. Located amidst the rolling hills and numerous pristine farms of the Central Queens region, Hunter River and its residents
epitomize the Island way of life, exhibiting a devotion to the land while treating all guests with the finest Island hospitality."
~ Tourism PEI
Hunter River is a village located in Queens County in the central portion of Prince Edward Island, South-West of North Rustico.
Its precise location is :
Where the village of Hunter Riverís name came from has long been debated by the residents. There are two different stories, one based more in fact and the other based on legend. In 1765, the name Hunter River appears in the land survey done by Samuel J. Holland, who was the Surveyor General for British North America. It was named after Thomas Orby Hunter who was stationed at Rotterdam in 1746 as deputy paymaster for the English and Dutch troops. He later became a Lord of the Admiralty in 1761. Despite this factual account, many believe that the village was named for Fred Hunter and the tragic story that surrounds his name.