Except for a couple of pigeons, central Park was deserted. Mist hung over the chill grass.
You are watching: In poetry and fiction, the main reason for using vivid words is to
Patches that old snow, scattered here and also there, looked like white puddles. The sunlight hung
just over the horizon, spreading red and orange streaks across low-hanging clouds. The
portly, gray-haired gentleman jogging under the course looked the end of place. For one thing,
he to be dressed in simple street clothes, not a sweat suit. Also, every couple of seconds, he
looked anxiously back over his shoulder. Comes closer to me, I saw that his challenge was
flushed. He was panting, almost gasping. Abruptly, looking this method and that, the moved
behind a tree. Seeming no to notice my presence, he stood through his back versus the
trunk, panting heavily. After ~ a moment, the poked his head the end to inspection the path. The was
still empty, other than for a squirrel the dashed throughout the path prefer a furry dart. Ns checked
my watch. It was currently 7:30. Mentally noting the time, ns aimed my camera towards the
3. In this paragraph, what time of work is the activity taking place?
A. Roughly sunrise C. Roughly sunset
B. Around midnight D. Roughly noon
4. From this paragraph, what relationship deserve to you infer in between the jogger and the writer?
A. They are famous to every other.
B. Lock are complete strangers to every other.
C. The writer is act a report on the jogger.
D. The writer is in risk from the jogger.
5. Indigenous the paragraph, you deserve to conclude the the portly man is afraid of something. Which
one the the following facets gives the strongest proof for the conclusion?
A. He’s panting.
B. He isn’t dressed in a jogging suit.
C. He’s to run in a nearly deserted park.
D. That hides behind a tree.
6. In this paragraph, a white pond is a simile for
A. Mist. C. Fear.
B. Grass. D. Snow.
Questions 7 and also 8 are based upon this poem.
Seasons space celebrations.
A year’s a Ferris wheel.
Both honor our world’s habit
of spinning ’round a star.
7. Which among the complying with sentences finest expresses the key idea the this poem?
A. The civilization has a habit of turn around.
B. Season are celebrations, while a year on earth is a habit.
C. Seasons and Ferris wheel are like Earth’s journey roughly the sun.
D. Over there are 4 seasons in a year.
8. In the an initial line that the poem, the poet is making use of a
A. Invited word. C. Simile.
B. Bias. D. Metaphor.
Question 9 is based upon this poem.
Some to speak life’s a monopoly game,
spread like a picnic to death the grass,
assuring no winners conserve some ants,
until between the fading rants,
none there are to punch one’s pass
into the halls that fame.
9. The an allegory for life in this city is
A. A picnic. C. Halls the fame.
B. A monopoly game. D. Part ants.
10. Which one of the following sentences best explains the ax bias?
A. Bias is an translate of something.
B. Prejudice is a an unfavorable opinion.
C. Predisposition exchanges a an unfavorable opinion because that a confident one.
D. Bias is one opinion the favors one point of view.
11. Suppose the adhering to sentence shows up in the sports section of the newspaper:
Lorton’s competent linemen performed well in handing Jefferson High’s Eagles a
What word in the sentence is most plainly a loaded word?
A. Proficient C. Crushing
B. Handing D. Defeat
12. Opinion regularly shows bias. Therefore, it’s good to remember the a reality is various from an
opinion because a fact can be confirmed or disproved with
A. Imagery. C. Evidence.
B. Opinions. D. Bias.
Question 13 is based upon the following information about The speak to of the Wild, a book by
The contact of the Wild is a story around a dog named Buck. Buck is a pampered dog who
lives v a wealthy household in southern California. During the gold Rush, Buck is captured,
sold, and eventually transport to Alaska to work as a sleds dog. Follow me the way, Buck is mistreated
by a collection of owners. At some point he learns to survive as a member the a dog sled
team. As a result, Buck shortly realizes the in the Yukon the Alaska “the law of club and also fang”
is stronger than the rule of civilized society. With each brand-new experience, Buck becomes
more acquainted v his primitive past. Finally, after losing the one person who treated
Buck well, Buck decides to return to living in the wild.
13. From the info above, which among the following headlines would ideal represent the
theme of Jack London’s story?
A. Pampered Dog move to Alaska
B. Dog learns the Ropes of sledge’s Teams
C. Dog Mistreated by Owners
D. Dog’s Roots contact Him Back
Question 14 is based upon this excerpt indigenous a quick story.
1. In poetry and also fiction, the main reason for utilizing vivid words is to
B. Produce a psychological image.
2. The objective of invited words in advertisᴇмᴇɴts is to
C. Influence the reader. (possibly could be D)
3. In this paragraph, what time of day is the activity taking place?
A. Around sunrise
4. Native this paragraph, what relationship have the right to you infer in between the jogger and the writer?
C. The writer is act a report ~ above the jogger.
5. From the paragraph, you deserve to conclude that the portly guy is fear of something. Which
one that the following facets gives the strongest evidence for that conclusion?
D. He hides behind a tree.
6. In this paragraph, a white puddle is a simile for
. D. Snow.
7. Which one of the following sentences ideal expresses the main idea that this poem?
C. Seasons and Ferris wheels are choose Earth’s journey approximately the sun.
8. In the very first line of the poem, the poet is making use of a
9. The metaphor for life in this poem is
B. A syndicate game.
10. Which one of the following sentences finest explains the term bias?
D. Predisposition is an opinion that favors one allude of view.
See more: How Do You Spell Lawn Mower Definition And Meaning In English Dictionary
11.What word in the sentence is most plainly a invited word?
12. Opinion frequently shows bias. Therefore, it’s an excellent to remember that a fact is various from an
opinion because a reality can be proved or disproved with
13. Indigenous the information above, which one of the adhering to headlines would best represent the