Notes• all questions about borders/neighbors/adjacent states take into consideration land borders only.
You are watching: Which contiguous u.s. state borders only one other state?
• any kind of consideration that size provides total area (as opposed to strictly floor area – though ns don’t believe any type of size questions have to be ambiguous either way).• Inset claims are no to scale.• Landlocked states execute not border any kind of ocean, gulf, or good Lake.• The says at the 4 corners (UT, CO, AZ, NM) all border each other.Walkthrough
1. Click largest US StateAlaska is the largest state (even if the map inset isn’t to scale), more than double as huge as Texas, the second largest state.
2. Pick the state that straight precedes Alaska in alphabetical order.Alabama is the very first state alphabetically (preceding Alaska, i m sorry is second).
3. Click the state that boundaries the most an excellent Lakes.Michigan has actually the most an excellent Lake borders with 4 (all except Ontario). No other state borders more than two an excellent Lakes.
4. That the states staying with worldwide land borders, click the one that borders the fewest other states.Maine is the only U.S. State the has precisely 1 border with an additional state, and also it also borders Canada. (Alaska boundaries 0 other states and also Canada, but was already chosen in step 1).
5. Now choose the state that is the greatest distance away from Maine.Hawaii, at over 5,000 mile from Maine, is conveniently the greatest distance indigenous Maine.
6. Click the state v the longest shore in the contiguous U.S.Florida has the longest coast in the contiguous us at 1,350 miles. California is 2nd at 840 miles. (Alaska has actually over 6,000 miles of coastline but is currently chosen and additionally not in the contiguous 48).
7. Pick the biggest remaining state that has precisely 2 state borders.Washington, Florida, southern Carolina, and Rhode Island have precisely 2 boundaries with other states. Washington is the largest of these (and Florida, i beg your pardon is sensibly close to Washington in size, was already chosen).
8. Pick the biggest state that boundaries a state starting with the letter ‘T’.Tennessee and Texas are the just two ‘T’ states. Tennessee’s biggest neighbor is Missouri (21st in size). Texas borders brand-new Mexico, the fifth largest state (and no one of the height 4 border a ‘T’ state).
9. The the states with 4-letter names, pick the one that’s first alphabetically.Iowa, Ohio, and also Utah are the just 3 choices here, through Iowa coming an initial alphabetically.
10. Pick the many populous remaining state that doesn’t border Mexico.The three many populous US claims are California, Texas, and new York. California and Texas both border Mexico, so brand-new York is the exactly answer.
11. Of the landlocked claims that don’t border another country, discover the one through the fewest state borders.This step entails a many counting, since there space 12 landlocked states without worldwide borders. Right here is the list (numbers in parentheses room bordering state counts): Tennessee (8), Kentucky (7), Colorado (7), Wyoming (6), Utah (6), southern Dakota (6), Iowa (6), Arkansas (6), Oklahoma (6), Nevada (5), West Virginia (5), Kansas (4).
12. Click the an initial state alphabetically the doesn’t start with a vowel.No state begins with ‘B’, for this reason California is our answer.
13. Next, uncover the state through the shortest name in the eastern Time Zone.No state has actually a name much shorter than 4-letters, and as we saw in action 9, there room two 4-letter states staying (Ohio and also Utah). The east Time Zone expand as far West as Michigan and also parts that Indiana, therefore Ohio is totally within the (Utah is in the mountain Time Zone).
14. Click the only remaining state with a ‘B’ in its name.Alabama & Nebraska room the just two claims containing a ‘B’. Alabama’s been chosen, so it’s Nebraska.
15. Find the 2nd smallest state that boundaries a currently clicked state.The smallest US states in order room Rhode Island (borders no clicked states), Delaware (borders no clicked states), Connecticut (borders brand-new York, i beg your pardon is clicked), and brand-new Jersey (also borders brand-new York). Because Connecticut is the the smallest one bordering a clicked state, the makes new Jersey the second smallest fitting the criteria.
16. Click the state v the lowest portion of vowels in the name out of the claims that border Iowa.Some an ext counting to do here – Iowa boundaries 5 states that haven’t been clicked yet.Illinois (4/8 vowels) Missouri (4/8 vowels) Minnesota (4/9 vowels)South Dakota (5/11 vowels) Wisconsin (3/9 vowels)
17. Uncover the state v the most unclicked border states.The claims with the most neighbors are Missouri and Tennessee, which each have actually 8. Missouri has 3 clicked neighbors and Tennessee has only 1 (leaving it v 7 unclicked). Colorado and also Kentucky both have 7 neighbors but each have actually at least 1 clicked, therefore they’re excluded. Tennessee must be the answer.
18. Find the state staying that ends v ‘N’.Oregon provides your mind a little bit of a break from counting things on this step.
19. Next, click the largest remaining state located totally west of Arkansas.Texas is the biggest remaining state, however its easternmost reaches extend past the western border that Arkansas. The next largest unclicked state is Montana, which is totally west of Arkansas.
20. Uncover the state that shares the longest floor border with any type of state that has been clicked.The longest border between two US says is Oklahoma-Texas, but neither that these has been clicked. Second is California-Nevada, and California is clicked therefore that provides Nevada the choice.
21. Of claims left v no clicked neighbors, uncover the one through the shortest resources city name.Only 4 states have no clicked neighbors: Louisiana (Baton Rouge), Rhode Island (Providence), Maryland (Annapolis), southern Carolina (Columbia). Southern Carolina has actually the shortest funding (8 letters).
22. Uncover the state bordering the Gulf that Mexico that extends the the furthest North.The Gulf the Mexico borders Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida. The these, Texas has the many northerly point.
23. Click the only remaining state that was admitted into the union ~ 1910. (It’s also the biggest state the isn’t presently clicked.)Arizona was the 48th state (with just Alaska & Hawaii coming after it), and also it’s also 6th largest (with the height 5 currently being favored in the quiz).
24. Now click the state v the longest one-word name of the says that room left.Massachusetts, in ~ 13 letters, is the longest one-word state, clicked or otherwise!
25. Identify the only state left without any clicked neighbors, & click the only state bordering it with a pro sporting activities team.A few steps ago, we figured out that Louisiana, Rhode Island, Maryland, and also South Carolina had no clicked neighbors. Because then, the selection of southern Carolina, Texas, and also Massachusetts have actually left us through Maryland together the final state there is no a clicked neighbor. Pennsylvania its only bordering state with a sports team, as Delaware, West Virginia, and also Virginia have none.
26. Click the southernmost of the 13 original colonies.Georgia was the southernmost initial colony and has no yet been clicked, for this reason click that now!
27. Now pick the only remaining state that borders Saskatchewan.That would be north Dakota. Idaho borders Alberta, Minnesota boundaries Ontario and also Manitoba.
28. Choose the state the ends in a consonant and has a 2-word capital city.Five the the remaining states have 2-word capitals:Jefferson City, Missouri Oklahoma City, Oklahoma little Rock, ArkansasBaton Rouge, Louisiana Saint Paul, MinnesotaArkansas is the only of these ending in a consonant. (Iowa, brand-new Mexico, and Nevada also have 2-word capitals, yet are clicked and likewise end in vowels).
29. Which state, if clicked, will cause 3 of its bordering claims to increase from 4 to 5 clicked neighbors?Let’s watch for states that right now have 4 clicked neighbors, as our answer should border one of these.
See more: 26) The Main Difference Between Pert And Cpm Is That, Difference Between Pert And Cpm (With Table)
30. Two states continue to be that border Lake Michigan. Finish with the one whose capital is also its biggest city.Indiana is the one girlfriend want, since Springfield is not the largest city in Illinois. Now you’re done!